What is the Participant Protection Policy (PPP) about?

The Racing Victoria Participant Protection Policy (PPP) sets out the key principles as well as outlining signs and types of safeguarding concerns and when a safeguarding concern should be reported.

The PPP applies to everyone engaged in the Industry and bound by the 'Rules of Racing'. This includes licensed trainers, stable staff, riders, owners, riders agents, RV employees, officials, contractors, volunteers and an employee, officer, official and volunteer of a club.

Every participant in the horse racing industry has the responsibility for protecting participants.

What is a Safeguarding Concern?

There are many forms of behaviour and/or conduct which may be a Safeguarding Concern. These are outlined in further detail in our Participant Protection Policy.

As examples, the below forms of behaviour and/or conduct are considered Safeguarding concerns:

  • Harassment – an unwelcome behaviour which is offensive, abusive, belittling or threatening to a person. It can be expressed or implied, physical, written, oral.  Forms of Harassment may include:

    • Bullying and Workplace Harassment
    • Sexual Harassment
    • Abuse (including sexual abuse)
    • Discrimination, including vilification
  • Child abuse – means any abuse where the offending conduct is against a Young Person and includes physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse and neglect.
  • Social Networking – refers to any interactive website or technology that enables persons to communicate and/or share content via the internet.
What is the role of the Participant Protection Manager?

The role of the Participant Protection Manager is to:

  • receive and investigate a safeguarding concern;
  • support individuals involved, with a respect to a report a safeguarding concern; and
  • provide education and appropriate support to all participants and clubs.
When and how to report Safeguarding Concerns to Racing Victoria?


  • A Participant has experienced a form of unacceptable behavior or conduct; or
  • There are serious concerns for the safety and/or well-being of a Participant (particularly a Young Person or Adult at risk),

A Safeguarding Concern should be lodged as soon as practical to Racing Victoria. Safeguarding Concerns can be lodged with Racing Victoria via any of the following means:

What do you need to consider when making a Safeguarding Concern Report to Racing Victoria?

Reports of a Safeguarding Concern may be subject to RV’s Speak Up Policy, which includes protections regarding confidentiality and anonymous reports. For further information please refer to the Speak Up Policy.

When reporting a Safeguarding Concern to RV, the person making the report should always:

  • Focus on the fact rather than opinion.For example, what exactly has been observed, seen, heard, or disclosed: and
  • Distinguish clearly between what the person making the report knows first and what he or she has been told by others.
How will the report be handled?

Depending on the circumstances of each case, the RV Participant Protection Manager will lead RV’s response to safeguarding concerns. The Participant Protection Manager is responsible for promoting the welfare of all participants in racing.

When will a report be referred to an external authority?

When the RV Participant Protection Manager assesses the initial concern, if required and warranted, there may be a referral to external authorities (such as the police) to investigate whether there have been any potential breaches of relevant legislation.

Can the matter be referred to the Stewards?

There are certain rules within the 'Rule of Racing' which deal with safeguarding concerns discussed in this policy such as (but not limited to sexual harassment and bullying). If, during the investigation, it is identified that a person in their conduct may have breached the 'Rules of Racing', the matter will be referred to the RV Stewards.

What are your obligations for reporting certain Safeguarding Concerns?

Victorian law requires mandatory reporting by any adult who has a reasonable belief that an instance of child sexual abuse has occurred. Information on how to report child abuse can be accessed via dhs.vic.gov.au/for-individuals/children,-families-and-young-people/child-protection.