From the Stewards' Room - September 2019
Reminder to Trainers regarding the requirements to maintain a treatment diary.
AR 104 Trainers must keep treatment records:
(1) A trainer must record any medication or treatment administered to any horse in the trainer’s care by midnight on the day on which the administration was given.
(2) For the purpose of subrule (1), each record of administration must include the following information:
(a) the name of the horse;
(b) the date and time of administration of the treatment or medication;
(c) the name of the treatment or medication administered (brand name or active constituent);
(d) the route of administration including by injection, stomach tube, paste, topical application or inhalation;
(e) the amount of medication given (if applicable);
(f) the duration of treatment (if applicable);
(g) the name and signature of the person/s administering and/or authorising the administration of the treatment or medication.
(3) For the purposes of this rule “treatment” includes:
(a) shock wave therapy;
(b) acupuncture (including laser treatment);
(c) chiropractic treatment;
(d) the use of any electrical stimulation device (including transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS));
(e) magnetic field therapy;
(g) any form of oxygen therapy, including hyperbaric oxygen therapy;
(h) the taking of a blood sample.
(4) For the purposes of this rule “medication” includes:
(a) all Controlled Drugs (Schedule 8) administered by a veterinarian;
(b) all Prescription Animal Remedies (Schedule 4), including those listed in Schedule 1, Part 2, Division 2 to these Australian Rules;
(c) all Prescription Only Medicines (Schedule 4), prescribed and/or dispensed by a veterinarian for off-label use;
(d) all injectable veterinary medicines (intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous, intra-articular) not already referred to above;
(e) all Pharmacist Only (Schedule 3) and Pharmacy Only (Schedule 2) medicines;
(f) all veterinary and other medicines containing other scheduled and unscheduled prohibited substances;
(g) all alkalinising agents;
(h) all herbal preparations.
(5) All records required to be kept in accordance with this rule must be retained by the trainer for at least 2 years.
(6) When requested, a trainer must make available to the Stewards the record of any administration of a treatment and/or medication required under subrule (1)
Victorian Racing Tribunal
From 1 August 2019, the operation of the RAD Board has ceased, except with respect to certain historical proceedings which commenced prior to 1 August and have not yet been finalised. Matters which previously would have been heard by the RAD Board will, from 1 August 2019, be heard by the Victorian Racing Tribunal (VRT), a body established under the Racing Act 1958 (Vic).
The VRT will hear matters under the rules of racing of all three Victorian racing codes: thoroughbred, harness and greyhound.
For more information on the VRT, including access to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding its operation and powers, please refer to the VRT website. email@example.com.
Decision to withdraw a horse from a group and listed race.
AR 69 Scratching of horses for Group or Listed races
A person who nominates a horse for a Group Race, Listed Race or Restricted Listed Race scheduled to be run within 30 days of the nomination who decides that the horse will not start in the nominated race, must immediately scratch the horse from the race concerned.
To assist the industry to disseminate this information accurately, nominators are requested to declare the reason for the withdrawal when such withdrawal is made.
3 Hours On Course – Spring Carnival
Trainers are reminded that horses competing during the Spring Racing Carnival at the following meetings are required on course 3 hours prior to the advertised starting time of their respective race excluding race 1 and 2 which will remain at 2 hours;
- Turnbull Stakes Day - 5 October 2019
- Caulfield Guineas Day – 12 October 2019
- Caulfield Cup Day – 19 October 2019
- Cox Plate Day – 26 October 2019
- Victoria Derby Day – 2 November 2019
- Melbourne Cup Day – 5 November 2019
- VRC Oaks Day – 7 November 2019
- Stakes Day – 9 November 2019
2 Hours On Course – Country Cups
Trainers are reminded that horses competing at the following Country Cup meetings are required on course 2 hours prior to the advertised starting time of their respective race including race 1 and 2;
- Cranbourne Cup – 13 October 2019
- Geelong Cup – 23 October 2019
- Bendigo Cup – 30 October 2019
- Ballarat Cup – 23 November 2019
Integrity Staffing News
The Stewards Panel has recently undergone a review of current operations, processes and resourcing requirements. As a result, we are pleased to announce the following internal changes to our operations:
- Kirstie Vanderzeil has been promoted to the position of Deputy Steward.
- Corie Waller will transition from his current role of Regional Manager Stewards – Mid West to the new role of Stewards Operations Manager.
- Sam Woolaston has been appointed to the position of Regional Manager Stewards – Mid West, to follow in Corie’s footsteps.
- Michael Williams, Stipendiary Steward from TRSA, has been appointed to the position of Deputy Steward.