As we enter the final stretch of spring and continue to celebrate the equine and human athletes that showcase our sport to the world, Racing Victoria (RV) has today launched a new podcast series called “Here for the Horses”.
Each week, RSN’s Maree McEwan goes behind the scenes, with a host of industry participants and equine specialists to discover how Victorian racing is progressing as a leader in equine care.
The six-part series will educate and celebrate everything we do across the industry to care for and prepare our thoroughbreds for racing and their second careers.
Each episode will be 20 minutes. In the first episode RV's General Manager - Equine Welfare, Melissa Ware chats to Maree about how Victorian racing continues to be at the forefront of equine welfare and what RV’s focus for the industry is over the next five years.
Across the next six weeks you’ll also hear from:
- Dr Grace Forbes on RV’s programs shaping our equine welfare efforts;
- Vin Cox on racing remaining economically and socially viable through equine welfare;
- Katrina Anderson on how technology is helping Ciaron Maher Racing achieve success;
- Campbell Wansbrough on how OTI’s equine welfare program supports their horses;
- Prof Chris Whitton on two-year-old racing, training methods and limb injury prevention;
- Fiona McIntyre on the realities of retraining a retired racehorse and;
- Stella Stevenson on the importance of traceability and RV’s Off The Track Community.
Each Tuesday, the episodes will be available at equinewelfare.com.au or wherever you get your podcasts, by searching “Here for the Horses”.