Stable Employee Trackwork Rider Mandatory Accreditation FAQs

24 November 2020

Q.  What’s changed to the Stable Employee Registration Policy?

The Stable Employee Registration Policy has been amended with effect from 1 July 2021 to require that all trackwork riders in Victoria must be assessed for competency to ride, at slow, fast or jump-out level, by July 2022.  Any new applicants applying for trackwork registration from 1 July 2021 will be required to complete the applicable track rider course prior to being registered.

Q.  Who needs to be accredited in Victoria to ride trackwork?
All persons employed as a stable employee who ride trackwork at private or industry training venues. Jockeys are exempt as they have previously undertaken a skills assessment as part of their Jockey licensing.

Q.  Why do track riders need to be accredited?
Safety is the number one reason. Having everyone at a certain standard is important. It’s an official license to ride at industry standards. Keeping our workplaces safe and being able to identify who rides at what level will assist to keep people safe. Official accreditation will provide certification in the form of a qualification. 

Q. What are the levels of accreditation?
There are three levels for approved trackwork riders – (1) slow work; (2) fast work; and (3) jump-outs.

Q. Will riders be accredited at one level only?
Yes, but a rider accredited for Jump Outs will be permitted to do Slow Work and Fast Work also; while a rider accredited for Fast Work is permitted to do Slow Work also.

Q.  What does the assessment involve? 
If you are currently employed to ride trackwork, you will undertake a workplace assessment. This means you will be observed riding work a designated number of times under specified conditions depending upon which level of accreditation you have indicated on your stable employee registration. There will be a requirement for you to undertake some learning and, to demonstrate your knowledge, you will be provided with resources to complete.

Q.  I currently ride slow work and want to be accredited in fast work also.  Can I do this?  How and when?
You should review the performance criteria for each of the courses in the Course Summary and consider your personal level of skills, knowledge, and experience and enrol to be accredited at the highest level you currently regularly ride. Your pre-assessment interview will help confirm the level of accreditation you should be assessed at.  At any time, an assessor can determine to cease assessments if they deem it to be unsafe.

Q.  What happens if I get accredited in fast work and want to do jump-outs?
After a period of accreditation and after undertaking training and developing your skills and knowledge you may enrol to be assessed at a higher-level of accreditation.

Q.  When do I have to be accredited by?
By July 2022, at the beginning of the renewal licencing period you need to have completed your accreditation or you will not be able to renew for the 2022-23 racing season.

Q.  What if I am not accredited by the Relicensing Period in July 2022?  
You will not be permitted to ride trackwork in accordance with the Stable Employee Registration Policy. 

Q.  I’ve been riding trackwork for 20 years, why do I need to be accredited?
As the industry works towards lifting its occupational health and safety levels, you will need to be accredited via an on-the-job assessment to meet the requirements outlined in the updated Stable Employee Registration Policy.

Q.  I’m a licensed jockey, do I need to be accredited for trackwork?
No, you have already undertaken a safety, skills and knowledge assessment at a level higher than the trackwork rider accreditation.

Q. I’m a trainer who rides my own work, do I need to get a track rider accreditation myself?
The current Licensing Policy updates only apply to Stable Employees that ride trackwork. There are not any changes being made to the Trainers Licensing Policy at this time that will require Trainers that ride their own trackwork to complete this course. The Trainers Licensing Policy will remain the subject of ongoing discussions.

Q.  How do I obtain a trackwork rider accreditation?
First step is to enrol with a training provider. The enrolment process will commence in December 2020 and be conducted under current COVID-19 government and industry COVID-19 protocols. Workplace assessment will not commence until early 2021, but getting enrolled is the first key step.

Q.  Who will carry out the trackwork rider accreditation?
Registered Training Organisations (RTO) that are approved to train and assess these courses will support the accreditation process. At this time Skillinvest will initially commence enrolments and we hope to have two additional RTO’s in 2021.

Q.  Will the RTO’s assessors all have the same assessment criteria?
All the RTO assessors will need to have significant experience as a trackwork rider or jockey, they will also have undertaken formal qualifications as a trainer and assessor. All assessors will follow the same performance criteria which is referred to in the Course Summary.

Q.  How do I go about getting accredited as trackwork rider?
Look for the published dates when enrolments will be conducted at the training venue you normally ride at. You can then enrol and will be provided details on the process to complete the accreditation.

Q.  Will the trackwork rider accreditation cost me money?
Trackwork riding courses are part of vocational education and training sector and as such government funding is available for those undertaking training and assessment. There is usually also a fee that students would contribute. Skillinvest have discounted this tuition fee to $20, if you hold a valid concession card at the time of enrolment you will be charged $4 (concession tuition fee) as at December 2020. The courses will provide trackwork riders with formal recognition of your skills.  

Q.  Can I claim the cost of the trackwork rider accreditation on my tax?
A.  The cost of being assessed can be claimed as a work-related tax deduction when you lodge your tax return.

Q.  What will I get at the end of this to show I am an accredited trackwork rider?
You will receive a Statement of Attainment from the RTO that you enrolled with, and your license card will show you are an accredited trackwork rider at your assessed level.

Q.  Is this a nationally recognised course?
Yes, this course is a nationally recognised course accredited by the Australian Skills Quality Authority.  This ensures the course can be delivered by registered training organisations and is nationally recognised and meets industry standards.

Q.  How will people identify what level of trackwork I can ride?  
Firstly, it will be the responsibility of the trainer (employer) to ensure that trackwork riders work within their level of accreditation, for example, if you have a slow work accreditation you should not be asked to do fast work.

Secondly, training venues will be provided with a report identifying each trackwork riders level of accreditation from August 2022. They should monitor jump-outs and trackwork to ensure riders only ride to their accredited level.

You will also have your registration card as evidence of your level of accreditation that may be checked by stewards or track officials.

Q.  I only ride trackwork occasionally, do I still need accreditation?
Yes, if you want to rider trackwork from August 2022 you need to be accredited, this also applies at private training venues.

Q.  I’m not great at reading and writing.  How much of this will I have to do, and can someone assist me?  
The training organisation has trainers and assessors that will support you with modified assessments if required, you just need to let them know you need some additional support.  

Q.  English is my second language, can I get assistance?
The training organisation has trainers and assessors that will support you with modified assessments if required, you just need to let them know you need some additional support.

Q.  What if I fail to be accredited as trackwork rider?  
If you are currently safely riding trackwork it is unlikely that you will not be accredited at one of the trackwork rider course levels. In the event you are not assessed at the level you expected, there is an opportunity for reassessment process of appeal.  You will continue to be registered as a stable employee.

Q.  Will my trackwork rider accreditation be accepted in other states?
Other racing authorities are currently reviewing their education and mandatory training requirements.  If other states require trackwork riders to have a formal course qualification this course is a national recognised course. How the qualification is applied to the licensing requirements will be at each state’s discretion.

Q.  Will I need to get accredited every year?
No, you will not. Your accreditation does not expire.